BSc programme in Geospatial Information Science offered by the department is a Four year course which aims to offer sound training and research in spatial information disciplines of geospatial engineering and geospatial information systems (GIS). Geospatial information science (GIS) brings together the disciplines of computing, surveying, mapping, cartography and visualisation, environmental science and statistics for the collection, analysis and modelling of spatially based or associated information. GIS is a rapidly developing discipline, and is applied in order to address problems and offer optimal solutions in an increasing range of applications where spatial, location / position based information is important .
The programme places emphasis on modern techniques of geodesy, digital mapping, Remote Sensing, cartography, Geo-information, Satellite Positioning such as Global Positioning System (GPS) but also offers adequate foundation on traditional geo information data acquisition and processing techniques. Over 80% of all data handled in the world today contains a spatial/location/positional component. In addition, there is a growing interest from various disciplines to integrate the spatial component into their daily business for instance air, sea and ground navigation. For more information download the course prospectus: Download BSc Prospectus
In addition to university and faculty of engineering common regulations the following requirements should be fulfilled by prospective candidates:
1) Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) applicants should satisfy all the requirements below:
- A candidate must have a mean aggregate of at least grade C+ (plus);
- The mean grade for the total score in the four cluster subjects must be at least C+ (plus);
- In the individual cluster subjects, a candidate must have at least the scores given below:
|Alternative A||Alternative B|
|Mathematics C+||Mathematics C+|
|Physics C+||Physical Sciences B|
|Chemistry C+||Biological Sciences C+|
|Geography or Biology, or C+||Geography or any C+|
|Any Group IV Subjects||Group IV Subjects|
2) Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) or the A-level equivalent should satisfy all the requirements below:
- At least two principal passes in Mathematics and Physics;
- At least a total score of nine (9) points at the KACE or equivalent;
- At least a credit pass in chemistry at the KCE or its equivalent.
3) Diploma applicants:
A candidate must be a holder of JKUAT diploma with at least a credit pass in the relevant discipline.
4) A holder of other qualifications recognized by the Senate as equivalent to 1, 2 and 3 above.