Each programme ordinarily takes a total of ten (10) semesters, each of which is sixteen (16) weeks. In addition, student undertake three (3) industrial attachments of which one is internal and the other two external. The duration of each attachment is at least eight (8) weeks.
Mode of Study:
All programmes in the school are offered on full-time basis at JKUAT main campus.
All the College and University regulations for the degree programmes will apply.
Examinations are taken at the end of every semester for the courses taken in that semester. The University and Faculty Examination rules and regulations will apply.
You are eligible to apply if you have attained any of the following qualification:
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) who have at least a mean aggregate of grade B–(minus); and mean grade for the total score in the four JAB cluster subjects of at least B(plain); and the following minimum grades in the individual cluster subjects:
- Alternative A – Mathematics C+(plus), Physics C+(plus), Chemistry C+(plus), and Geography or Biology, or any of Group IV C+ (plus);
- Alternative B – Mathematics C+(plus), Physical Sciences B(plain), Biological Sciences C+(plus), and Geography or any of Group IV C+(plus), or equivalent qualification obtained in other examination systems OR
- Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) (or the A-level) applicants who have at least two principal passes in Mathematics and Physics; and at least a total score of nine (9) points, and at least a credit pass in Chemistry at the KCE or its equivalent OR
- Diploma applicants holding: JKUAT University Diploma with at least a Credit pass in the relevant discipline. Such applicants will be eligible to join the second year of study, OR
- Ordinary Diploma from an institution recognized by the Senate having been awarded and examined by the Kenya National examinations Council or any other external examinations body recognized by the University Senate as being of equivalent status, with at least a credit pass in relevant discipline. Such applicants will be eligible to join the course in the second year of study, OR
- Higher National Diploma in a relevant discipline, from an institution recognized by the University Senate, having been awarded and examined by the Kenya National Examinations Council, or, any other external examinations body recognized by the University Senate as being of equivalent status. Such applicants will be eligible to join the course in the third year of study, OR
- A holder of any other qualifications recognized by the Senate as equivalent to (i), (ii) or (iii) above.
HOW TO APPLY
- Check entry requirements for the courses at the respective departments: Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering & Biomechanical & Environmental Engineering.
- Application forms are available from the Prinicipal’s Office, College of Engineering and Technology at a non-refundable fee of Kes. 1,500, payable at the Finance Office (JKUAT).
- The filled forms and payment receipt should be returned to the Office of the Principal, College of Engineering and Technology.
Please note the following:
- Only applications for which the application fee has been paid will be considered.
- Consideration for admission will be based on qualifications of the student as presented in the application.
- Final selection shall be on competitive basis.
- Any information found to be false will lead to the disqualification of the applicant and also discontinuation from the University, even after admission.
- A service fee of Kes. 1,000 will be charged on all returned cheques.
Advertisements for intake will be placed in the local dailies as well as on the JKUAT website. The 2015 intake will be in September.
The estimate for the tuition plus examination fee is KShs. 127,000/= per semester for Kenyan citizens and 20% over and above for non-citizens. Details of the fees breakdown and other information can be obtained from the office of the Dean, School of Mechanical, Manufacturing and Materials Engineering.