Welcome to the School of Mechanical Manufacturing and Materials (SoMMME). Our vision is to be a “One stop source of solutions for research, training and innovations in the field of Mechanical, Manufacturing and Materials Engineering“. Our focus is on students both undergraduate and post graduate as well as industry including local and international partners.
SoMMME has come a long way since its inception in 2010. You will see an array of courses offered in engineering including mechanical, mechatronics, marine as well as mining and mineral processing. Therefore there are 4 departments in the school in which these programs are offered, namely;
- Mechanical Engineering department
- Mechatronic Engineering department
- Marine Engineering and Maritime Operations department
- Mining, Materials and Petroleum Engineering department
We have continued to revise these programs to respond to changing technologies and provide learners with sufficient skills to make them versatile based on industrial trends and needs. Other new programs in the school that have been developed and are undergoing an accreditation process based on the requirements of EBK include Aerospace Engineering and Materials and Metallurgical Engineering.
The school has continued to engage with the industry with a view to improve competences in particular areas of need. For example the school has been rolling out short course training to industry personnel in fabrication of frames using aluminium extruded materials. This is a short course that was developed by the school through the department of mechanical engineering as a link between industry and academia. Other short courses are being developed and will be rolled out soon. We encourage you to link up with us for development of other short courses that meet your specific needs.
Our learners find employment in;
- Power companies such as Kengen, KPLC, GDC, Thika Power plant, IberAfrica, among others.
- Transportation industry such as Kenya Airways and automotive firms such as General Motors, CMC motors, Toyota Kenya, among others.
- Manufacturing firms such as Bamburi cement, BAT, Bidco, EABL, Unilever, Mining Companies, Mumias Sugar, Portland Cement, among others.
- State corporations such as Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS), Kenya Ports Authority (KPA), Kenya Pipeline, among others.
- The military – Kenya Defence Force (KDF)
- Multinational firms such as General Electric, Wrigleys, Johnson and Johnson BOC, Mantrac, among others
- Oil Companies such as Vivo Kenya, Total Ltd, among others.
- Hotels such as Nolfolk, New Stanley, Hilton, among others.
Other former graduates have set up their own firms that are providing solutions locally and abroad.
Our courses attract not only local but also international students. For example students from Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, Eriteria and Nigeria have been learning in our school. We also have had student exchange programs between our school and universities in Europe and Asia. In addition, there has been staff exchange program between our school academic staff and those from countries such as America, Europe, Asia and other regions of Africa.
Our staff have undergone post graduate training in Japan, Germany, USA, England, Canada, South Africa, Botswana, Egypt, China, South Korea, among others. We are therefore confident of their capacity to not only train and undertake research but also provide engineering consultancy services.
We are in a journey to train and mentor graduates to become professionals who will contribute to growth of manufacturing, infrastructure development, transportation and energy generation. Come and be part of this exciting journey. Also explore this website and see what we have to offer you.
In case of any inquiry do not hesitate to contact us on email@example.com