The School of Mechanical, Manufacturing and Materials Engineering(SOMMME) is one of the three schools under the newly formed College of Engineering and Technology (CoETec). The school, which has a student population of over 1,000 comprises four departments, viz;
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Mechatronic Engineering
- Biomechanical and Environmental Engineering Department
- Department of Mining and Mineral Processing Engineering
There are a number of undergraduate degrees and masters courses plus many opportunities for PhD study.
UNDERGRADUATE OPPORTUNITIES AT THE SCHOOL
The above departments offer the following undergraduate programs, which are very competitive.
- Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Marine Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Mechatronic Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Mining and Mineral Processing Engineering (Taita Taveta Campus)
These programmes take 5 years, for those students entering directly from secondary school. If one has an ordinary diploma or higher diploma, he/she may be admitted into the second or third year of study.
If you are qualified and seriously thinking about becoming a professional in these competitive disciplines, the School is offering you the opportunity realize your dreams. Besides development of professionals in the respective fields, all the above programmes prepare the student to pursue postgraduate studies leading to M.Sc. and Ph.D, either locally or abroad.
POSTGRADUATE OPPORTUNITIES IN THE SCHOOL
The School also offers several postgraduate programs:
- MSc. Mechanical Engineering
- MSc. Mechatronic Engineering
- MSc. Environmental Engineering and Management
- MSc. Soil and Water Engineering
- MSc. Agricultural Processing Engineering
- MSc. Biomechanical Engineering
- MSc. Biosystems structural Engineering
- PhD Mechanical Engineering
In addition to teaching, there are broad research areas in SoMMME. which include: Sustainable Production and Energy, Manufacturing, Automation and Materials among others. The school also collaborates with various reknown local and international institutions to undertake joint research projects and capacity building programmes.
Should you have any question or need further clarification regarding the courses, you may contact the Dean of the School, or the Chairman of the relevant Department.