Promoting Sustainable Built Environment: Architecture, Environment, Technology and Society in the Global South
About the Conference
Cities are the future habitat for the majority of Africans. The quality of life in these cities in 2030 and beyond has everything to do with the manner in which urbanization and related processes are handled today. Researchers, academia, legislators, government, professionals, private sector, among others, must anticipate and prepare for the needs and expectations of their cities’ future. This requires smart and innovative social, economic, infrastructural, spatial, and environmental planning, implementation and investment, guided by strategic policies and approaches that are cognizant of and operational on regional, national, and local levels. Creating, developing, and managing built environments that are harmonious and sustainable is therefore critical to responding accurately to the challenges and pressures of the rapid urbanization that faces cities and countries of the global South – challenges that with astute, coordinated, and committed foresight and leadership are surmountable.
To enable exploration, innovation, and exchange that will consolidate and catalyze movement in this direction, Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology’s (JKUAT) School of Architecture and Building Sciences (SABS) is organizing its first conference on ‘Sustainable Built Environment: Architecture, Environment, Technology and Society in the Global South’ that will engage expert presenters, panelists, and quality participants from around the globe.
- Improve the understanding of sustainable development, built environment, and cities, and what can be done to advance thinking, knowledge, and practice on creating sustainable built environments.
- Highlight relevant global, regional, national and local experiences, good practices, and lessons learnt, opening discussion on approaches to sustainable built environment.
- Identify, build, and strengthen opportunities for partnerships and collaborations towards creating and managing sustainable built environments.
- Provide opportunity for researchers and students to participate and present relevant work fostering active interaction/engagement with diverse audiences.
- Dissemination of lessons learnt, practices, and innovations that contribute to sustainable built environments through publication.
- Opportunities for partnerships and building networks on sustainable built environments initiated and strengthened.
- Indication of issues/considerations for enhancement of academic and research programmes in order to produce well-equipped experts for present and future demands and expectations.