Message from the Chairperson
The department of Community Health is one of the three departments in the School of Public Health. The first cohort of Bachelor of Science degree in Community Health and Development were admitted in September, 2010. The Department of Community Health was established in March, 2017. The department is growing tremendously in terms of students and teaching staff.
This program targets direct entry applicants or any other equivalent qualifications recognised by University Senate. The Community health and development graduates will acquire the necessary knowledge, attitude and skills through an intensive program conducted in lectures, fieldwork, case studies and research.
To excel in the training of Community Health professionals for global health and developmental needs.
Hard work, innovation, Integrity and innovation
To produce leaders in training, research and innovation in the field of Community Health to support the JKUAT vision and mission to suit the needs of a dynamic health sector.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Produce graduates who can critically community health problems with a view to suggesting and helping to implement solutions
- Inculcate in the learners, skills in creativity, resourcefulness and critical thinking to enhance effective service delivery and communication in community- oriented health practice.
- Produce graduates with adequate knowledge and skills to identify current health and development problems in the community.
- Develop in the learners, the knowledge, skills and attitude in conducting research and utilising research findings for improved Community health provision.
- Produce all round graduates who would offer leadership in Community mobilisation of communities to address their own health and developmental concerns
- Provide opportunities for further career and professional development in Community Health and Development
- Central and County Governments
- Local and International NGOs
- Community health services
- Research Institutions
- Academic institutions