The programme is designed to help candidates develop the ability to pursue independent research and scholarly work.
1.1 The common regulations for the Masters degree in the University shall apply.
1.2 The minimum requirements for eligibility into the Master of Science in Software Engineering are:
(a) Holders of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Computer Technology/Information Technology, Mathematics and Computer science, and Electronic Engineering of at least Upper Second Class Honours of JKUAT.
(b) Holders of a Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline: Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics and Physics of at least Upper Second Class Honours and holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science of a minimum Credit grade from an institution recognized by senate or an equivalent qualification from an institution recognized by Senate.
(c) Any other qualification from an institution recognized by senate and equivalent to (a) and (b) above.
2. CREDIT TRANSFER
2.1 No candidate will be allowed to transfer more than one third of the total number of taught courses.
2.2 Application for exemption shall be considered only after the applicant has paid an exemption fee.
3. PROGRAMME STRUCTURE AND DURATION
3.1 The first academic year shall have two semesters. The second academic year shall be devoted to research leading to a Thesis.
3.2 The programme shall extend over a minimum period of eighteen months (four semesters) and a maximum period of four academic years.
3.3 The programme shall consist of twelve taught course units and a Thesis.
3.4 A course unit shall be defined as 35 lecture hours. 2 tutorial hours shall be equivalent to 1 lecture hour. 3 practical hours shall be equivalent to 1 lecture hour.
3.5 A candidate shall take all the twelve course units by course work, and carry out research leading to a Thesis.
3.6 The research project shall be equivalent to ten course units.
- ICS 3101 Research Methodology
- ICS 3102 Foundations of Computer Logic and Symbolic Reasoning
- ICS 3103 Communication Systems
- ICS 3104 Systems Engineering
- ICS 3105 Object Oriented Software Engineering
- ICS 3106 Software Construction
- ICS 3107 Human Computer Interaction
- ICS 3108 Software Project Management
- ICS 3109 Business Process Re-engineering and Change Management
- ICS 3110 Software Quality Assurance
- ICS 3111 Software Systems Risk Assessment
- ICS 3112 Legal and Ethical Aspects of Computing
- ICS 3201 Software Engineering Thesis