Aim of the Programme
The aim of this programme is to provide students with ample time  to  make independent contributions to scientific knowledge in areas of Computational Mathematics, Mathematical Statistics and Financial Mathematics. On completion of the programme, students will be capable of leading  research  at universities or  take up positions in research institutions, in industry or in academia.

Learning Outcomes
At the end of the PhD. programme,  students will have had an established area of future research  either in Computational Mathematics, Mathematical Statistics or Financial Mathematics, with strong links with other scientist in their areas of research. They  will be more experienced and capable of conducting independent research  work in their research areas. They will be ideally placed to contribute to scientific, technological and economic development in Africa.

Prospective Employer/Occupations
The main goal of the programme is to prepare students for independent research work, that would enable them attract scientific funds and also pursue advanced postdoctoral programme in an appropriate area of mathematics. Nevertheless, such an in-depth and rigorous programme of study will also equip students who so desire to pursue a career in other areas of research, such as natural sciences or engineering, or to work in business or industry.

Admission Requirements
An applicant should satisfy any of the following requirements:
1. The common regulations for all PhD degrees at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology/ Pan African University shall apply.
2. A holder of a Master’s degree in Mathematics, Mathematics and Statistics, Mathematics and Computer Sciences, Financial Mathematics, Actuarial Science or related areas obtained at JKUAT or granted by PAU or by an institution recognized by the university senate.
3. A holder of other qualifications recognized by the University Senate as being equivalent to (2) above.
4. In addition, a candidate shall have submitted a research concept note to be eligible for admission.

Programme Duration
The duration of study for the degree of PhD. in Mathematics shall be at least three (3) academic years (27 months) and at most four (36) from the date of registration.

Pattern of the Programme
Students will be required to pass all units offered in his/her given option of mathematics during the first semester of the first year. Scores will be given for various activities such as attending lectures and passing examinations, giving seminars, participating in workshops, and carrying out intensive periods of study in specific areas.

During the second semester, students will develop/or strengthen their research proposals, defend and begin research work under minimum supervision of professor(s).

Second and subsequent years
During the second and subsequent year(s), students will continue with their research work and write ups. They may also follow some more advanced courses given by visiting faculty members.

In order to qualify for the award of the degree of PhD in Mathematics every candidate must register for and pass all taught courses, and a thesis.

Examinations

1    Part I Examinations

1.1     Each course unit in the first semester first year shall be examined at the end of the semester in a three (3) hour written examination paper.
1.2     The written examinations shall constitute 60% of the overall mark in each course, the other 40% shall be made up of continuous assessment.
1.3    The pass mark for each course unit shall be 50%.
Supplementary Examinations
1.4     A candidate who fails in one(1) or two (2) units may, on recommendation of the Board of examiners and with  approval of the Senate, be allowed to sit supplementary examinations in the failed unit(s).
1.5     The maximum mark for any supplementary examinations shall be 50% and shall not include continuous assessment.

Discontinuation

1.6     A candidate who fails in more than two (2) course units in the regular examination shall be discontinued.
1.7     A candidate who fails in any of the supplementary units shall be discontinued.

2        Part II Examinations

2.1     Thesis: Proposal, and thesis   shall be submitted and examined according to University regulations.

Course Distribution

Computational
PUM4100: Analysis
PUM 4101: Computational Mathematics
PUM 4103: Operator Theory
PUM 4106:Advanced Fluid Mechanics
PAU 3103: History of Africa
PAU 3104: Human Rights and Gender
PUM 4200: Thesis
Financial
PUM 4100: Analysis
PUM 4101: Computational Mathematics
PUM 4104: Regression Modelling
PUM 4107: Financial Time Series Analysis
PAU 3103: History of Africa
PAU 3104: Human Rights and Gender
PUM 4200: Thesis
Statistics
PUM 4100: Analysis
PUM 4101: Computational Statistics
PUM 4105: Advanced Probability and Stochastic Theory
PUM 4104: Regression Modelling
PAU 3103: History of Africa
PAU 3104: Human Rights and Gender
PUM 4200: Thesis