The strategic vision of the Pan African University is to develop institutions of excellence in science, technology, innovation, social sciences and governance, which would constitute the bedrock for an African pool of higher education and research. This would usher in a new generation of leaders properly trained to take the best advantage of African human and material resources, imbued with a common vision of a peaceful, prosperous and integrated Africa.
To realise the strategic vision, six missions have been defined for the Pan-African University:
1. Develop continental-wide and world-class graduate and post-graduate programmes in science, technology, innovation, human and social sciences;
2. Stimulate collaborative, internationally competitive, cutting-edge fundamental and development oriented research, in areas having a direct bearing on the technical, economic and social development of Africa;
3. Enhance the mobility of students, lecturers, researchers and administrative staff between African universities to improve on teaching, leadership, and collaborative research;
4. Contribute to the capacity building of present and future African Union stakeholders;
5. Enhance the attractiveness of African higher education and research institutions for effective development and retention of young African talent, while attracting the best intellectual capital from across the globe, including the African Diaspora;
6. Invigorate dynamic and productive partnership with public and private sectors