WATER AND ENVIRONMENTAL COOPERATION MoU SIGNED
Ministry of Environmental Water and Natural Resources (MEWNR), Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, University of Nairobi and Kenya Rainwater Association (KRA) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to foster cooperation on Water and Environmental issues. This function was held at the Ministry of Environment, Water and Natural Resources Headquarters, Maji house Nairobi on 20th March 2015
This is a quadripartite MoU whose objective is to upscale research, training, innovation, science and technology transfer in the Water and Environmental sector in Kenya and any other areas of mutual interest/benefit to the Parties.
JKUAT VC was represented by the Director of the Water Research and Resource Center (WARREC) Prof. Bancy Mati. WARREC which is a center dedicated to water research had been on the forefront in the preparation of this MoU so as to easy its operations in achieving its objectives;
- To strengthen the overall human and institutional capacity of the water sector in Kenya and to contribute to the wise use of water resources.
- To enhance and facilitate research in fields related to water resources utilization and management.
- To facilitate technical, financial, human and material resource mobilization for WARREC stakeholders and beneficiaries
- To facilitate networking and cooperation between institutions engaged in research, capacity building and advocacy in the fields of water resources development and management.
- To organise regional symposia, conferences and meetings for the furtherance of the water knowledge and issues.
- To establish and operate WARREC Secretariat which will coordinate the activities of the Center
- To carry out all other lawful activities for the furtherance of water resources development and management.
The MoU brings the four parties together to:
- Enhance and facilitate research, innovation, science and technology transfer in the environment, water and natural resources sector.
- Strengthen human and institutional capacities of water harvesting, storage and land reclamation stakeholders in Kenya.
- Facilitate networking and cooperation between institutions and individuals in the environment, water and natural resources sector.
- Provide advisory services, inform policy and facilitate science communication.
- Carry out activities for the furtherance of knowledge, services to communities, and rehabilitation of degraded ecosystems for sustainable development.
- Implement annual national and international scientific conferences to showcase new and emerging issues, trends and technologies in the natural resources sector in collaboration with other stakeholders.
- Work with key stakeholders and Development Partners in mobilizing resources to support actualization of the MOU.