Prof. Dr. –Ing. John Mwangi Gathenya
Office: AEB 012
John Gathenya is a Professor at the Department of Soil, Water and Environmental Engineering (SWEED), School of Biosystems and Environmental Engineering (SOBEE) of JKUAT. He holds a BSc and MSc in Agricultural Engineering from the University of Nairobi, Kenya and PhD in Water Engineering from University of Kaiserslautern, Germany. He teaches undergraduate and postgraduate courses related to Hydrology, Watershed Management, Soil and Water Conservation, Research Methods, Climate Change, Agrometeorology, Applied GIS and Remote Sensing. His current research interests are on catchment and lake hydrological modelling, sustainable land management, rainwater harvesting, flood management, climate change, ecosystemservices and climate services for agriculture and water. Apart from working at JKUAT, Prof. John Gathenya has worked at ICRAF, Nairobi as Visit Researcher, Ecosystem Services (2010-2011), at the University of Reading, Walker Institute for Climate Systems Research as Rockefeller Climate Change Research Fellow (2011-2014) and was thereafter as Visiting Research Fellow at School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences (2015-2017). He was appointed Dresdren Senior Fellow at the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Technical University of Dresden in 2017 and Part-time Professor at Pan Africa University, Institute for Water and Energy Sciences, Including Climate Change, University of Abou Bakr Belkaïd, Tlemcen, Algeria (2016-2018) and at Pan Africa University, Institute for Science, Technology and Innovation, JKUAT, Kenya (2017-2018). He has supervised over 30 postgraduate students and published in various journals and participated in international consultancy projects in Eastern and Southern Africa.
Publications: Google Scholar Account.
- Musau J., Sang J., Gathenya J. and Luedeling E (2015) Hydrological responses to climate change in Mt. Elgon watersheds, Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies
- Cooper, P. J. M, Stern, R. D., Noguer, M. and Gathenya, J. M. (2013). Climate Change Adaptation Strategies in Sub-Saharan Africa: Foundations for the Future, Climate Change – Realities, Impacts Over Ice Cap, Sea Level and Risks, Bharat Raj Singh (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-51-0934-1, InTech, DOI: 10.5772/55133. Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/books/climate-change-realities-impacts-over-ice-cap-sea-level-and-risks/climate-change-adaptation-strategies-in-sub-saharan-africa-foundations-for-the-future
- Gaya, C.O., Gachari, M.K. and Gathenya, J.M. (2012) Use of Satellite Rainfall Estimates in Flood Early-Warning: Case of Nyando Basin. Journal of Earth Science and Engineering 2 (2012), 292-301.
- Kang’au, S.N., Home, P.G. and Gathenya, J.M. (2012) Farm water use efficiency assessment for smallholder pumped irrigation systems in the arid and semi-arid areas of Kenya. CIGR Journal, Vol. 13 No 4.
- Kang’au, S.N., Home P.G. and Gathenya J.M. (2012) Evaluation of the Performance of Smallholder Pumped Irrigation Systems, in Arid and Semi-arid Areas of Kenya. CIGR Journal, Vol 13 No 4..
- Leimona, B., Noordwijk, M van, Laximan, J., Catacutan, D., Yatich, T., Dietz, J., Mwangi H., Gathenya, J., Muthuri C., Sinclair, F., Bhattarai, S., Onyango, L., Kalinganire, A., Noordin, Q., Bayala, J., Gebrekristos, A., Tscherning, K., Duque-Pinon, C. Supporting multifunctionality through realistic, conditional and voluntary actions to enhance trees as sources of environmental services In: Noordwijk, M van et al 2011. How trees and people can co-adapt to climate change. World Agroforestry Centre.
- Ilaria, F., Catacutan, D., Gathenya, J. and Namirembe, S. (2011) PES and Eco-certification in the Kapingazi Watershed, Kenya In: FAO (2011) Payments for ecosystem services and food security. ISBN 978-92-5-106796-3, FAO, Rome, Italy. pp 36-43.
- Gathenya, M., Mwangi, H., Coe, R., Sang, J. 2011. Climate- and land use-induced risks to watershed services in the Nyando River Basin, Kenya. Expl. Agric. (2011), volume 47(2), pp. 339-356.
- Kigira, F.K., Gathenya, J.M. and Home, P.G. (2010). Modeling the Influence of Land Use/Land Cover Changes on Sediment Yield and Hydrology in Thika River Catchment Kenya, Using Swat Model. Nile Basin Water Science & Engineering Journal, Vol.3, Issue 3, 2010.
- Gathenya, J.M., Kinyari, P.K. and Home, P.G. (2010) Domestic Rainwater Harvesting Tank Sizing Calculator and Nomograph. Journal of Agriculture Science and Technology, Vol 12, No 2 (2010).
- Mwangi, J. K., Gathenya, J. M. & Ondieki, C. M. (2008). Estimating parameters of IHACRES Conceptual Model for Tana Basin, Kenya. International Journal for Disaster Management & Risk Reduction, ISSN: 1992-2744, 1(2), pp69-82.
- Mwangi, J. K., Gathenya, J. M. & Ondieki, C. M. (2008). Application of IHACRES Conceptual Rainfall-runoff Model to Simulate Daily Stream Flow in Upper Tana Basin, Kenya. Journal of Civil Engineering, Research and Practice [Online], ISSN: 1729-5769, 5(2), pp 69-82.
- Mwangi, J., Gathenya, J., & Ondieki, C. (2007). Regionalising Parameters of a Conceptual Rainfall-Runoff Model for Stream Flow Estimation in Ungauged Catchments. Journal of Civil Engineering Research and Practice [Online], ISSN: 1729-5769, 4(2). pp61-74 Available: http://www.ajol.info/viewarticle.php?id=36806.
- Sang, J., Gathenya, M. & Ndegwa, G., (2007). Evaluation of reservoirs as a flood mitigation measure in Nyando basin, Western Kenya using SWAT. European Journal of Scientific Research, ISSN: 1450-216X, 18(2), pp 231-239.
- Muthusi F.M., Gathenya, M., Gadain, H., Kaluli, W., & Lenga, F. K. (2005). Application of the USGS Streamflow Model to the Nyando Basin, Western Kenya. European Journal of Scientific Research, ISSN: 1450-216X, 12(1). Pp 9-19.
- Gathenya, M. (2005).Methodology for Evaluating the Regional Impact of Climate Change on Water Resources In: Jansky, L., Haigh, M.J., & Prasad, H. (2005). Sustainable Management of Headwater Resources. United Nations University Press. ISBN 9280811088, pp205-218
- Gathenya, J. M.; Liniger, H. P.; & Gichuki, F. N. (2000). Problems of River-Water Management for a Basin West of Mount Kenya: Challenge to Water Resource Planners. In: Gichuki, F. N.; Mungai, D. N.; Gachene, C. K. K.; Thomas, D. B. (Eds) 2000. Land and water management in Kenya: towards sustainable land use. Proceedings of the Fourth National Workshop, Kikuyu, Kenya, 15-19 February, 1993 2000 pp. 175-180. ISBN 9966-9690-0-4.
- Gathenya, J. M. 1999. The application of water balance models for water management on the Thika-Chania catchment in Kenya. University of Kaiserslautern, Institute for Hydraulic Engineering and Water Management, 1999 ISSN 1433-4860 (written in German)