Dr Caroline Ngugi has a BSC in Medical Microbiology, summa cum laude, from the Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology in 2005. She trained in JKUAT and conducted research in Centre for Virus Research, Kenya Medical Research Institute for her MSC in Molecular Medicine in 2007. Dr Ngugi studied for her PhD at the JKUAT with a research position at the Institute of Applied Tumor Biology, University of Heidelberg. She is currently a lecturer at the College of Health Sciences, Department of Medical Microbiology, JKUAT. Her research interests are, studying knowledge of HPV and cervical cancer in the general population, attitudes and acceptability of HPV screening and vaccination amongst parents and adolescent girls and developing public information materials about HPV. Her research also involves molecular epidemiology of cervical cancer with particular interest in biomarker analysis, validation and establishing viable cervical cancer diagnostic techniques for resource poor settings.
- December 2012 Research grant 105,000 USD National council for Science and Technology, Kenya
- September 2011 Travel Grant 1000USD from International Papillomavirus Society
- July 2009Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Research grant of USD 10,000 African Doctorial Dissertation Research fellowship (ADDRF)
- September 2009Â German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), In Country PhD scholarship
- December 2013 -Â December 2016: Determining the Feasibility and Accuracy of p16INK4a/Ki-67 biomarker detection for Cervical Dysplasia among women in Thika, Central Kenya.
- September 2008 â€“ June 2011: The Epidemiology of High Risk Human Papillomavirus and Factors affecting Cervical Cancer Screening amongst Volunteer Adult Women in Thika Municipality, Kenya
- January 2006 – January 2007: Detection of Drug Resistance Mutations in Human Immunodeficiency Virus by Mutagenically Separated Polymerase Chain Reaction
- December 2003-November 2004: Co-trimoxazole and disinfectant resistant of Enterobacteriaceae isolated from homes and health institution discharges.
- C.W.Ngugi, Hamadi Boga, P Wanzala, A.W.T. Muigai, Â Â J.N.Mbithi.Â Factors affecting uptake of cervical cancer screening amongst women in Kenya. Health care for women international. 2012. Volume 33, Issue 7: 595-613
- C.W.Ngugi, Schmidt D, Wanyoro RK, Hamadi Boga, P Wanzala, A.W.T. Muigai, Â Â J.N.Mbithi, von Knebel Doeberitz M, Reuschenbach M.Â Human Papillomavirus prevalence in Thika District, Kenya. African Journal of Health Science, Volume 19, Nos. 3-4 (Issue No 38).
- C.W.Ngugi, Hamadi Boga, P Wanzala, A.W.T. Muigai, Â Â J.N.MbithiÂ Prevalence of Human Papillomavirus infection by age and cervical cytology in Thika, Kenya. 1st Medical and Veterinary Virus Research Symposium in Kenya, 8th â€“ 9th September, 2011, Nairobi, Kenya
- C.W.Ngugi, Schmidt D, Wanyoro RK, Hamadi Boga, P Wanzala, A.W.T. Muigai, Â Â J.N.Mbithi, von Knebel Doeberitz M, Reuschenbach M.The utility of p16ink4a/ki67 Dual Stain Cytology in Samples from Kenyan Women. Â The book of Abstracts. The 27th International Human Papillomavirus Conference. 17th -22nd September 22, 2011 in Berlin, Germany
- C.W.Ngugi, Schmidt D, Wanyoro RK, Hamadi Boga, P Wanzala, A.W.T. Muigai, Â Â J.N.Mbithi, von Knebel Doeberitz M, Reuschenbach M.
p16ink4a/ki67 Dual Stain Cytology in SamplesÂ from Kenyan Women.Â The book of Abstract.; Eurogin Conference, May 8th -11th, 2011,Â Lisbon, Portugal
- C.W.Ngugi, Hamadi Boga, P Wanzala, A.W.T. Muigai, Â Â J.N.Mbithi.Â Cervical cancer in resource poor settings: awareness and prevention in the era of Human Papilloma Virus vaccination.Â The book of Abstracts,Â The 9th international Conference on Urban Health (ICUH 2010),Â New York, October 27-29, 2010
- C.W. Ngugi, Khamadi, S., A.W.T. Muigai (2007). Detection of Drug Resistance Mutations in Human Immunodeficiency Virus by Mutagenically separated Polymerase Chain Reaction. Proceedings of the 2007 Scientific, Technological and Industrialization conference, â€œGalvanizing Science and technology for Industrialization: Towards the Millennium Development Goals,â€ 25th â€“ 27th October, 2007 pg 200-215
- C.W. Ngugi, Suleimann, S., A.W.T. Muigai (2005).Â Co-trimoxazole and Disinfectant Resistance of Enteric Bacteria Isolated from Domestic and Health Institution Discharges.Â Proceedings of the 2005 Scientific, Technological and Industrialisation conference, Leveraging Indigenous Products and Technologies Through Research for Industrialisation and Development, 27th-28th October, 2005, pg 196-205