Emerge as a leading centre of training and research in the field of Geomatics Engineering and Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) in the region and beyond.
Provide quality training and undertake research in the disciplines of Geomatic Engineering and GIS at levels ranging from specialized short courses to Bsc, Msc and Phd.
- To train highly skilled Geomatic Engineering and GIS professionals and Technologist.
- Conduct research and disseminate research findings in Geomatic Engineering, GIS and associated disciplines.
- Provide facilities and expertise for training and research in Geomatic Engineering, GIS, Remote sensing, Surveying and associated technologies to other university academic departments.
- Establish Income generation mechanisms through training and research.
- Promote and Market Geo-information knowledge and technologies and their applications in development and practical life situations.
- Establish a Geo-information Resources and Data centre
About Geomatics Engineering and Geospatial Information systems
The B.Sc. Geomatic Engineering programme at JKUAT was launched in April 2001 when the pioneering group of students was admitted to the university. This group of students completed their studies in April 2005 and graduated on 25th July 2006 completing the five-year full cycle for the programme. Since then, the programme has been revised and renamed B. Sc. Geomatic Engineering & Geospatial Information Systems. The review of the B.Sc. in Geomatic Engineering programme was carried primarily to address industry and stakeholders needs and expectations of the course.
Recent advances in space (satellite) technology, computing (software and hardware) technology and Geomatic engineering instrumentation technology have had a revolutionary impact on the practice of Geomatic engineering. Mapping and surveying tasks that used to take months or even years to complete may require only a fraction of that time to efficiently accomplish by employing these new digital approaches for collection, processing, analysis and presentation of the results. The scope of geomatic engineering services continues to expand. These advances in technology and expanded need for quality services have created a need for Geomatic engineers who are well grounded in knowledge in these modern technologies. Traditional techniques may still be useful in some instances; hence, sufficient knowledge on the same is necessary especially in a developing country environment. Learn More