Office: JKUAT Nairobi Centre
Specialization: Organic Chemistry
PhD (1996); MSc. (1988); B.Ed. Science (1983); Post doctoral course in Marine chemistry (2002)
Full Professor (2010); Associate Professor (2004); Senior Lecturer (1996); Lecturer JKUAT (1991); Assistant Lecturer (1989)
- Member of the Japanese Society of Biosciences, Bio-resources and Biotechnology
- Member of the Japan Oil Chemical Society
- Founder and Governing Council Member of the Kenya Chemical Society (KCS)
- Vice Chairman of the Natural Products Research Network for Eastern and Central Africa (NAPRECA), Kenya Chapter
- Member of the Green Chemistry Research of the American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Member of the National Bio-fuel Development Corporation of Kenya (NBDC-K)
- Member of the Kenya Bio-Diesel Association (KBDA)
- Member of the Board of Directors of Ruiru-Juja water and sewerage company (Rujwasco)
- Member of the Green-fuel (WILMA) initiative on bio-fuel exploration
- Alumni member of the University of California’s Environmental Leadership Program (ELP)
- Member of the Editorial Board of Green Chemistry – Letters and Reviews
- Registered Lead Expert in EIA/EA (NEMA, 2007).
- Feasibility study of the availability and distribution of potential oil crops in Kenya such as Croton megalocarpus and Yellow oleander.
- Biofuel energy from locally available resources; an alternative tool to poverty reduction
- Investigation of lipid classes and the composition of fatty acids in fish lipids found in the Kenyan waters
- Survey of the Distribution of Medicinal Plants
- Isolation and characterization of bioactive compounds
SUPERVISION OF PhD STUDENTS
- Isolation and characterization of bioactive compounds from Dombeya torrida species of plants.
- Isolation and characterization of anti-mosquito compounds from selected East African Meliaceae species of plants.
- Biological and Phytochemical Studies of Selected Medicinal Plants used in Kenya for treatment of Malaria.
- Anti-protozoal and anti-plasmodium activities of natural products with limonoid-type structure from some selected Meliaceae species of plants
- Extraction and characterization of anti-anthlemintic agents from some species of plants found in Embu and Kitui districts of Kenya.
- Environmental assessment in Geothermal exploration zones Lake Naivasha region.
- Eco paints for Adobe constructions
- Anti-schistosomal properties of Chenopodium ambrosoides (Wormseed) against the parasite S. mansoni in mice
- Effect of cover crops on weeds and maize productivity in small holder conservation Agriculture, Kenya.
- The role of community wildlife conservancies in the management of resource conflicts in Kenya using GIS and strategic environmental assessment
- An Assessment of pollution status of Lake Naivasha and Potential for Utilization of Geothermal fluids for Irrigation and solution mining.
- Pharmaceutical formulation development involving excipients of problem drugs manufactured in Kenya.
- Envirolmental effects on Small and Medium Scale Entrepreneurs.
SELECTED SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATIONS AND CONFERENCE PAPERS
Kareru, P. G.; Keriko, J. M.; Gachanja, A. N.; Kenji, G. M. (2008). Direct detection of triterpenoid saponins in medicinal plants. African Journal of Traditional, Complimentary and Alternative Medicine. Vol. 5(1) 56 – 60.
Kareru, P. G.; Gachanja, A. N.; Keriko, J. M.; Kenji, G. M. (2008). Anti-microbial activity of some medicinal plants used by Herbalists in Eastern Province, Kenya. African Journal of Traditional, Complimentary and Alternative Medicine. Vol. 5(1). 51 – 55.
Keriko, J. M.; Shitanda, D.; Ojijo, N.; Odhiambo, P. O.; Muthuuri, C. W.; Muturi, W.; Ochora, J.(2007). Biodiesel research and production in Kenya. Preceedings of the USDA Global Conference On Agricultural Biofuels: Research and Economics, International Perspectives Session A. Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, 19th – 23rd August 2007
Eunice N. Marete; Joseph M. Keriko; Mary W. Ndung’u. (2005). Biological studies of the extracts of the rootbark of Senecio lyratus (Asteraceae). Proceedings of the 5th Conference. The Kenya Chemical Society held at Kenyatta University, 22nd – 26th August, 2005, Pg 215 – 220.
Erastus K. Mwangi; Alex K. Machocho; Paul K. Tarus; Joseph M. Keriko; Sumesh C. Chhabra; Alphonse W. Wanyonyi and Hamisi M. Malebo. (2005). Phytochemical and biological studies of Teclea trichocarpa and Albizia anthelmintica. Proceedings of the 5th Conference. The Kenya Chemical Society held at Kenyatta University, 22nd – 26th August, 2005, Pg 261 – 267,
Nyakundi, P. A.; Inoti, I. K.; Thiongo, G. T.; Keriko, J. M. (2007). Impact of land use changes around Olkaria Geothermal power station. (J. of Agriculture Science and Technology), Vol. 9(2), 2007.
Nyakundi, P. A.; Inoti, I. K.; Thiongo, G. T.; Keriko, J. M. (2008). Economic impacts of resources use around Olkaria Geothermal Power station. J. of Agriculture Science and Technology) In press.
Kareru, P. G.; Kenji, G. M.; Gachanja, A. N.; Keriko, J. M.; Mungai, G. (2007). Traditional medicines among the Embu and Mbeere peoples of Kenya. African Journal of Traditional Complimentary and alternative Medicine. Vol. 4 (1) 75 – 86.
Kareru, P. G.; Thiongo, G. T.; Gachanja, A. N.; Keriko, J. M.; (2006). Biological activities of soap, lotion, and paint made from medicinal plant extracts. Proceedings of Scientific, Technological and Industrial conference held at JKUAT between 25th – 26th, October 2006.
Keriko, J. M. and Mutie, M. M. (2008). Insecticidal activities of the exctracts of Sisal plant, Agave sisalana, (Agavaceae), against white termites, Recticulitermes flavipes Kollar (Rhinotermitidae). (JAGST, In Press).
Waihenya, R. K.; Keriko, J. M.; Mtambo, M. M. A.; Nkwengulia, G; Kayser, O.; Hafez, H. M. (2005). Anti-viral activity of the crude extracts and phytochemical fractions of Aloe secundiflora against Newcastle disease virus. J. Trop. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 5: 10-14.
Nyakundi, P. A.; Inoti, I. K.; Thiongo, G. T.; Keriko, J. M. (2005). Impact of land use changes around Olkaria geothermal stations, Naivasha, Kenya. Gnet E-Journal website: www.gnet.org/ middle.php.
Keriko, J. M. .; Githua, R.; Nyaga, C. G.; Gitu, L. M. (2004): Biologically active compounds of Vernonia Auriculifera Hiern. Part II. Proceedings of 9th Biennial World Association of Industrial and Technology Research Organization (WAITRO). Safari Park Hotel, Nairobi, Kenya. 23rd – 29th October, 2004.
Keriko, J. M.; Githua, R.; Nyaga, C. G.; Gitu, L. M. (2004). Biologically active compounds of Vernonia Auriculifera Hiern Part I. In the Proceedings of the African International Chemical Conference. Arusha, Tanzania, August 22 – 28, 2004.
Kiprono, P. C.; Kaberia, F.; Imbuga, M.; Keriko, J. M.; Dimitris, A. (2003). Antibacterial activity of Dombeya Torrida Extracts. Proceedings of the 1st Moi University – DAAD Conference Held at Tea Hotel, Kericho, Kenya. October 22 – 24 2003.
Saito, H.; Kotani, Y.; Keriko, J. M.; Xue, C.; Taki, K.; Ishihara, K.; Ueda T.; Miyata, S. (2002). High levels of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in Euphausia Pacifica and its roles as a source of docosahexaenoic and icosapentaenoic acids for higher tropic levels. Marine Chemistry, 78, 9 – 28.
Saito, H.; Keriko, J. M.; Yoshida, K. (2001). Utilization of the lipids of the deep-sea grenadier: The high content of ceramide derivatives in the internal organ lipids of genus Corphaenoides. Proceedings of the 70th Anniversary of the Japanese society of Fisheries Science: International Commemorative Symposium, October 1st – 5th