Masters in Business Administration
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) programme of the Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) seeks to equip participants with skills, techniques and understanding required for successful managerial careers in the public and private sectors of the economy. The programme caters for those with prior business training as well as those whose professional backgrounds are in other disciplines. Worldwide professionals in areas such as engineering and medicine emphasize technical undergraduate studies, but in time, upward mobility demands knowledge of general management that includes organization behaviour, marketing, finance, strategic management, operations research, human resources, information systems and other emerging areas.
The course complements technical knowledge with simulated managerial experiences and knowledge to make participants effective managers in a dynamic organizational environment. The programme also aims at training the critical manpower required towards achieving Kenya’s Vision 2030 and other development objectives.
1. Holders of Bachelor’s degrees in any discipline with a Higher Diploma in Business Administration, or Diploma in Business Management or related field.
2. Practitioners in Business services who hold university degrees in any fields and wish to receive formal training and a professional qualification in business administration or business management.
3. University graduates from any discipline who wish to start a career in business or others who are currently working in other occupations and wish to switch to Extension
4. Managers and professionals who hold university degrees and are in business or business oriented organizations – whether in public or private sector, and wish to acquire understanding and skills in managing businesses.
5. People who own or aspire to own business – whether small medium or large businesses.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The broad goals of this program are to:
1 Equip the student with a knowledge of key generic and specific areas of management;
2 Enhance self-confidence and the ability of the student to evaluate practical business experience from an academic, practical, and critical perspective;
3 Develop awareness in the student of the changing local and international business environment;
4 Instill a professional and problem-solving attitude in the practice of management;
5 Provide a learner-centered learning community that is grounded in practice-based theories.
A candidate must satisfy any of the following minimum requirements:
Be a holder of a bachelor’s degree with at least Upper Second Class honours in any discipline or its equivalent from an institution recognized by the University Senate.
Be a holder of a Bachelors degree with Lower Second Class honours in any discipline provided the candidate can show proven evidence of research ability or three (3) years relevant experience in a relevant field.
Be a holder of a bachelor’s degree at pass level in any discipline from a recognized University with five (5) years post qualification experience. If less than five (5) years, the holder must have a Diploma with Credit in a relevant field from Kenya National Examinations Council and any other institution recognized by the University Senate.
A holder of a Higher National Diploma with Credit pass with two (2) years experience in a relevant field may be admitted into the Master’s degree programme provided that such candidates pass the required units.
PROGRAMME DURATION AND STRUCTURE
The Master of Business Administration degree will consist of coursework examination, Industrial Attachment and Research Project
The programme will run for four (4) semesters. The period of the Attachment will be part of the programme duration which is eight (8) weeks which will take place at the end of the third semester.
To qualify for the award of the degree, a candidate must pass all the required course units including Attachment and research project.