1. Master of Science in Governance and Leadership
Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology in collaboration with MS TCDC have introduced a two year Master Degree of Science in Governance and Leadership. The core purpose of this programme is to raise a new crop of leaders that provide solutions to the 21st century challenges.
2. Master of Business Administration (MBA)
The programme seeks to equip participants with skills, techniques and understanding required for successful managerial careers in the public and private sectors of the economy. The programme caters for those with prior business training as well as those whose professional backgrounds are in other disciplines. Worldwide professionals in areas such as engineering and medicine emphasize technical undergraduate studies, but in time, upward mobility demands knowledge of general management that includes organization behaviour, marketing, finance, strategic management, operations research, human resources, information systems and other emerging areas.
The course complements technical knowledge with simulated managerial experiences and knowledge to make participants effective managers in a dynamic organizational environment. The programme also aims at training the critical manpower required towards achieving national and international development objectives.
• Holders of Bachelor’s degrees in any discipline with a Higher Diploma in Business Administration, or Diploma in Business Management or related field.
• Practitioners in Business services who hold university degrees in any fields and wish to receive formal training and a professional qualification in business administration or business management.
• University graduates from any discipline who wish to start a career in business or others who are currently working in other occupations and wish to switch to Extension
• Managers and professionals who hold university degrees and are in business or business oriented organizations – whether in public or private sector, and wish to acquire understanding and skills in managing businesses.
• Entrepreneurs and businesspersons who wish to develop their competencies in business.
Goals and Objectives
The broad goals of this program are to equip students with a knowledge of key generic and specific areas of management;
• Enhance self-confidence and the ability of the student to evaluate practical business experience from an academic, practical, and critical perspective;
• Develop awareness in the student of the changing local and international business environment;
• Instill a professional and problem-solving attitude in the practice of management;
• Provide a learner-centered learning community that is grounded in practice-based theories.
A candidate must satisfy any of the following minimum requirements:
• Be a holder of a bachelor’s degree with at least Upper Second Class honours in any discipline or its equivalent from an institution recognized by the University Senate.Or
• Be a holder of a Bachelors degree with Lower Second Class honours in any discipline provided the candidate can show proven evidence of research ability or three (3) years relevant experience in a relevant field.Or
• Be a holder of a bachelor’s degree at pass level in any discipline from a recognized University with five (5) years post qualification experience. If less than five (5) years, the holder must have a Diploma with Credit in a relevant field from Kenya National Examinations Council and any other institution recognized by the University Senate.Or
• A holder of Advanced Diploma with Credit Pass from an Institution recognized by the University Senate.
The Master of Business Administration degree will consist of coursework examination, Industrial Attachment and Research Project
• The MBA degree programme shall be offered in two academic years. The first academic year will comprise a minimum of twelve (12) course units while the second academic year will comprise four (4) units from any of the specialized areas and two (2) optional course units plus Attachment. The research project is equivalent to five (5) units.
3. Master of Science in Project Management (MPM)
Projects have always played an important role in the development and introduction of new products and innovations, and are increasingly becoming the dominant means by which many countries, institutions and companies execute their strategy and operations. Project management has evolved into a skill set required for managers in all areas of business, industry, government and education sectors.
The target programme targets project managers and members of project teams, project coordinators, project analysts, donor coordination officers, development consultants, programme managers, company executives and students aspiring to work as project management professionals.
Programme Goal and Objectives
The programme is designed to provide the student with knowledge and practical experience in planning, organizing, managing, monitoring and evaluating projects in ways that stimulate human creativity and productivity. Students will learn that projects are the vehicles to introduce change into complex systems and that managing that process requires business, technical and people skills.
A candidate must satisfy any of the following minimum requirements:
Be a holder of a bachelor’s degree with at least Upper Second Class honours in any discipline or its equivalent from an institution recognized by the University Senate. Or
Be a holder of a Bachelors degree with Lower Second Class honours in any discipline provided the candidate can show proven evidence of research ability or three (3) years relevant experience in a relevant field.Or
Be a holder of a bachelor’s degree at pass level in any discipline from a recognized University and have proven research ability, relevant work experience of five (5) years and their academic work show that they are well qualified to undertake postgraduate studies by passing qualifying examinations. Or
A holder of Advanced Diploma with Credit Pass from an Institution recognized by the University Senate.
The Masters degree programme shall be offered in two academic years. The first academic year will comprise twelve (12) course units plus Industrial Attachment while the second academic year will comprise eleven (11) course units. At the end of Year I, a student who will have completed and passed all the units can exit with a postgraduate diploma, provided they undertake and pass Industrial attachment for eight (8) weeks. The programme will run for four (4) semesters. The period of the Industrial Attachment will be part of the programme duration which is eight (8) weeks.
Fee Structure: Masters Fee Structure