JKUAT is pleased to announce the 2012 Call for Proposals for the Innovation Fund. The purpose of the fund is to support the application of new ideas and skills in turning research results into innovations (value creation). The innovation could include the up-scaling of new products, technologies, processes and services and bringing them closer to the market for accelerated industrial and socio-economic development in the country; setting up demonstration for adoption of innovative technologies; pilot testing project products arising from adoption of innovative technologies and processes, etc. Emphasis will be on projects whose objective is to demonstrate clearly results and/or outputs with high potential for commercialization. The proposals should demonstrate knowledge and alignment to the current national development themes and agenda as outlined in Vision 2030, National Industrialization Policy, the National Agricultural Development Policy and MDGs among others.
- Drugs and Disease Control – innovations that will boost disease control and cures through pharmaceutical innovations, breakthrough innovations and incremental innovations.
- Food Security and Value Addition – Development of innovative Food Processing Technologies; value addition technologies, development of high quality seeds, planting materials and other inputs for farmers. Development of seed banks, permaculture (designing land to take advantage of natural ecological processes by integrating a variety of crops, animals, and pests into one farming system), promoting traditional and low rainfall foods that secure food security e.g. millet, sorghum, cassava and traditional vegetables etc, breeding crops that are resistant to pests and diseases.
- Infrastructure Development- the diffusion of new products and services of a technological nature such as water, construction materials, energy, transport, electric power etc. This theme also includes non-technological forms of innovation, such as “organization” innovations e.g. marketing techniques, the adoption of new supply or logistic arrangements, and improved approaches to internal and external communications and positioning.
- Development of Machinery- Development of production and processing equipment and technologies for agricultural and food products.
- Technology Transfer- skills transferring, knowledge, technologies, methods of manufacturing, samples of manufacturing and facilities among others.
- ICT- Computer software development, hardware engineering, telecommunications and other latest developments in computer science.
- Biodiversity Conservation – Plant, animal and microbial biodiversity, sustainable exploitation, unexploited biodiversity, ex situ and in situ conservation
BUDGET AND FUNDS ALLOCATION
The proposal budget should not exceed Kshs. 1.5 Million per year. Each proposal will be funded for a maximum period of 3 years based on progress reports, intellectual property audit reports and recommendations from Monitoring and Evaluation sub-committee. The successful applicants are expected to adhere to their approved budget, work plan and expected project completion date.
Eligible applicants will be individuals or innovation teams comprising;
- Project Coordinator; who MUST be a JKUAT staff member.
- Project Collaborators; who may be JKUAT staff members or any other person from industry or any other relevant institution.
- The Innovation Team where applicable should be multidisciplinary, demonstrating an integrated pool of talents and capabilities; with social and business actors to turn knowledge into value for development of innovations that can be commercialized. The proposal must be signed /endorsed by all the innovation team members.
- Staff members with on-going JKUAT funded innovation projects need not apply.
- Proposals for Research should not be submitted under this call.
This announcement and proposal application forms can be obtained from the Directorate of Research and Production or click here to download. Applicants should submit three hard copies and a soft copy of the Application form for the innovation fund to the office of the Deputy Vice Chancellor (RPE) on or before Friday 17th August 2012. Applications submitted after this deadline will not be accepted.
Further information and guidance can be obtained from: Director, Research and Production; RPE Building, Research Production and Extension Division; +254-67-52711, 52181 Ext. 6213