Africaqua & ECOTACT CEO, Mr. David Kamau Kuria was the Chief Guest at the 2015 annual Professorial Luncheon held at the JKUAT Main Campus, Juja on Tuesday, 28th July 2015. The Professorial Luncheon is an annual event hosted in honour of the newly promoted university professors.
David Kuria is the founder of Ecotact Group, a Kenya-based social enterprise which provides affordable sanitation within urban areas. Ecotact builds and operates public pay-per-use toilet and shower facilities.
Mr. Kuria an Architecture graduate turned entrepreneur had the privilege of addressing JKUAT’s Professors and Associate Professors. In his speech while addressing the Professors, Mr. Kuria emphasized the need to embrace innovation and research that are geared towards solving social problems in the society at large.
Having worked at a quarry as a graduate with a degree in Architecture, he ventured into entrepreneurship after seeing the need to shift his attention to improving the urban living environment by getting into a business that would focus on harnessing natural resources. He is currently known for his initiative of “Ikotoilet” and ‘Ikotoilet Plus’, the VIP product from Ecotact Limited, which is the first mobile vacuum toilet system of its kind in Africa according to his website ecotact.
Mr. Kuria has been presented with the following awards in the past couple of years;
- 2007 – Ashoka Fellowship by Ashoka, Changemakers (US)
- 2008 – Hall of Fame – World Toilet Organisation (Singapore)
- 2008 – 1st Prize – Global Water Challenge New York, (USA)
- 2009 – Africa Social Entrepreneur of the Year by World Economic Forum (S. Africa)
- 2009 – Schwab Fellowship on Social Entrepreneurship by Davos, (Swizerland)
- 2009 – President Clinton Citation by Clinton Global Initiative (New York USA)
- 2010 – 1st Prize, Public Service Award by African Ministers’ Council on Water (AMCOW) Addis Ababa
- 2010 – Guinness World Record on Hygiene promotion – Handwashing
- 2011 – UN Dubai International Best Practice Award to Improve the Living Environment (Dubai)
- 2011 – Most Innovative Sector Award by SMME Africa Growth Institute (SA)
With all the achievements and hard work by Mr. Kuria, he has had the privilege of being appointed a member of the Crans Montana Forum of ‘New Leaders for Tomorrow’ in 2014.